Faculty and staff
Ann Hamric, Ph.D., RN, FAAN
Professor, Associate Dean of Academic Programs
P.O. Box 980567
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
Phone: (804) 828-3968
- Ph.D. - University of Maryland
- M.S. - University of California at San Francisco
- B.S.N - Vanderbilt University
- Associate Dean of Academic Programs, VCU School of Nursing, 2011-present
- Professor/ Associate Professor, UVA School of Nursing, 1999-2011
- Master's Program Director, 2000-2002; MSN/DNP Program Director, 2008-2009
- Faculty Affiliate, UVA School of Medicine Center for Biomedical Ethics & Humanities, 1999-2011
- Associate/Assistant Professor, Louisiana State University School of Nursing, 1995-1999
- Associate Director of Nursing for Research and Development, Medical College of Virginia Hospitals (MCVH) , 1982-1991
- Interim Associate Director of Nursing for Medical-Surgical Specialties Division, MCVH, 1990-1991
- Assistant Professor, MCVH/VCU School of Nursing, 1976-1979
- Clinical Nurse Specialist/Instructor Assistant Professor, Vanderbilt University Hospital, 1973-1976
- Selected as a “Meet the Professor”, American Society of Bioethics and Humanities Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA. 2013
- “120 Visionary Leaders” Recipient, VCU School of Nursing, Richmond, VA. 2013
- Faculty Mentorship Award, UVA School of Nursing. 2011
- Distinguished Nurse Award, Beta Kappa Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau. 2011
- Faculty Leadership Award, UVA School of Nursing Alumni Association. 2007 and 2010
- Innovative Teaching Award, UVA School of Nursing. 2010
- “100 Leaders: 100 Years” Recipient, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing, Nashville, TN. 2008
- Substantive Contributions to Nursing Ethics, given by the Affinity Group for Nursing, American Society for Bioethics and Humanities. 2008
- Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach 3rd Edition awarded AJN Book of the Year. 2004
All-University Teaching Award for teaching excellence, UVA. 2004
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 1998
- Recipient of the 1997 Special Recognition Award from the Louisiana State Nurses Association. 1997
- Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach awarded AJN Book of the Year. 1996
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Who's Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities, 1993
- Twelfth Vanderbilt University School of Nursing Alumni Award for Excellence in Nursing. 1991
- The Clinical Nurse Specialist in Theory and Practice awarded AJN Book of the Year. 1984
- Shirley Titus Award for Excellence in Teaching in Undergraduate Nursing Education, Vanderbilt University, 1976.
- Summa Cum Laude, Founder's Medal, Vanderbilt University, 1970.
- Sigma Theta Tau, 1969.
- Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Institute of Nursing, Winterthur, Switzerland, January, 2011
University of Hong Kong, Department of Nursing Studies, Hong Kong, November 2010
- Irving Harris Visiting Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago, April, 2010
- Boston College School of Nursing, Newton, MA, April, 1998
Selected Articles Published in Professional Journals
- Lewis, E.L., Baernholdt, M.B., Hamric, A.B. (2013). Nurses’ experience of medical errors: an integrative literature review. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 28(2), 153-161. doi: 10.1097/NCQ. 0b013e31827e05d1.
- Hamric, A.B. (2012). Empirical research on moral distress: issues, challenges and opportunities. HEC Forum, 24: 39-49.
- Hamric, A.B., Borchers, C.T., & Epstein, E.G. (2012). Development and testing of an instrument to measure moral distress in healthcare professionals. AJOB Primary Research. Volume 3(2), 1-9.
- Llahana, S.V., & Hamric, A.B. (2011). Role development phases and factors influencing this process: a study of diabetes specialist nurses in the United Kingdom. European Diabetes Nursing, 8(1), 1-7.
- Hamric AB. (2010). Moral Distress and Nurse-Physician Relationships. Virtual Mentor, 12, 6-11.http://virtualmentor.ama-assn.org/2010/01/ccas1-1001.html. Accessed January 4, 2010.
- Ulrich, C.M., Hamric, A.B., & Grady, C. (2010). Moral distress: A growing problem in the health professions? Hastings Center Report, 40(1), 20-22.
- Epstein, E.G., & Hamric, A.B. (2009). Moral distress, moral residue, and the crescendo effect. Journal of Clinical Ethics, 20(4), 330-342.
- Tereskerz, P.M., Hamric, A.B., Guterbock, T.M., & Moreno, J. D. (2009). Prevalence of industry support and its relationship to research integrity. Accountability in Research, 16(2), 78-105.
- Ulrich, C.M., & Hamric, A.B. (2008). What is so distressing about moral distress in advanced nursing practice? Clinical Scholars Review, 1(1), 6-7. [I]
- Hamric, A.B., & Blackhall, L.J. (2007). Nurse-physician perspectives on the care of dying patients in intensive care units: collaboration, moral distress, and ethical climate. Critical Care Medicine, 35, 422-429. [R]
- Gordon, E.J., & Hamric, A.B. (2006). The courage to stand up: the cultural politics of nurses’ access to ethics consultation. Journal of Clinical Ethics, 17(3), 231-254.
- Hamric, A. B., Davis, W., & Childress, M. D. (2006). Moral distress in health-care providers: What is it and what can we do about it? Pharos of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, 69(1), 16-23.
- Pentz, R.D., Cohen, C.B., Wicclair, M., DeVita, M.A., Flamm, A.L., Youngner, S.J., Hamric, A.B., McCabe, M.S., Glover, J., Kittiko, W.J., Kinlaw, K., Keller, J., Asch, A., Kavanagh, J.J., Arap, W. (2005). Ethics Consensus Panel Guidelines for research with the recently dead. Nature Medicine, 11, 1145-1149.
- Hanson, C.M. & Hamric, A.B. (2003). Reflections on the continuing evolution of advanced practice nursing. Nursing Outlook, 51, 203-211.
- Hamric, A.B. & Hanson, C.M. (2003). Educating advanced practice nurses for practice reality. Journal of Professional Nursing, 19, 262-268.
- Hamric, A.B. (2003). Resources in research ethics. Nursing Outlook, 51, 242-244.
- Hamric, A.B. (2002). Bridging the gap between ethics and clinical practice. Nursing Outlook, 50(5), 176-8.
- Hamric, A.B. (2001). Reflections on being in the middle. Nursing Outlook, 49, 254-7.
- Hamric, A.B. (2001). Ethics development for clinical faculty. Nursing Outlook, 49, 115-7.
- Hamric, A.B. (2000). Moral distress in everyday ethics. Nursing Outlook, 48, 199-201.
- Hamric, A.B. (2000). What is happening to advocacy? Nursing Outlook, 48, 103-4.
Books Authored, Coauthored or Edited
- Hamric, A.B., Spross, J.A., & Hanson, C.M., Eds. (2014). Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach. 5th Edition. St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier.
- Hamric, A.B., Spross, J.A., & Hanson, C.M., Eds. (2009). Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach. 4th Edition. St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier.
- Hamric, A.B., Spross, J.A., & Hanson, C.M., Eds. (2005). Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach. 3rd Edition. St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier.
- Hamric, A.B., Spross, J.A., & Hanson, C.M., Eds. (2000). Advanced Nursing Practice: An Integrative Approach. 2nd Edition. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders.
- Hamric, A.B., Spross, J.A., & Hanson, C.M., Eds. (1996). Advanced Nursing Practice: An Integrative Approach. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders.
- Hamric, A.B. & Spross, J.A., Eds. (1989). The Clinical Nurse Specialist in Theory and Practice. 2nd Edition. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders.
- Hamric, A.B. & Spross, J., Eds. (1983). The Clinical Nurse Specialist in Theory and Practice. New York: Grune & Stratton, Inc.
Selected Book Chapters
- Hamric, A.B. (2014). Nursing ethics: addendum. In B. Jennings (Ed). Encyclopedia of Bioethics (4th ed.). Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference USA.
- Hamric, A.B., Epstein, E.G., & White, K.R. (2014). Moral distress and the healthcare organization. In G.L. Filerman, A.E. Mills, & P.M. Schyve, (Eds.). Managerial Ethics in Healthcare: A New Perspective (pp.137-158). Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press.
- Hamric, A.B. (2014). A definition of advanced practice nursing. In A.B. Hamric, J.A. Spross, & C.M. Hanson (Eds.), Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach (5th ed., pp 67-85). St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier.
- Hamric, A.B., & Delgado, S. (2014). Ethical Decision Making. In A.B. Hamric, J.A. Spross, & C.M. Hanson (Eds.), Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach (5th ed., 328-358). St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier.
- Salyer, J., & Hamric, A.B. (2009). Evolving and innovative opportunities for advanced practice nursing. In A.B. Hamric, J.A. Spross, & C.M. Hanson (Eds.), Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach (4th ed., pp 520-540). St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier.
- Hentz, P., & Hamric, A.B. (2009). The blended role of the clinical nurse specialist and nurse practitioner. In A.B. Hamric, J.A. Spross, & C.M. Hanson (Eds.), Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach (4th ed., pp 437-461). St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier.
- 2010-2: Co-Investigator,The Relationship Between Moral Distress in Healthcare Workers and Patient Safety in Intensive Care Units. [Peter Dodek, MD, Principal Investigator]. Funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Total costs: $299,984. Project dates: 7/10 – 7/12.
- 2010-1: Consultant, Senior Nursing Students’ Attitudes Toward Patient Care Before and After a Professional Practicum Experience. [Mr. David Martin, Principal Investigator]. Funded by Kansas University School of Nursing. Total costs: $5,000. Project dates: 7/10 – 7/11.
- 2010-1: Consultant, Early Indicators of Ethical Dilemmas: Strengthening Nurses’ Voices”. [Carol Pavlish, UCLA School of Nursing, PI]. Oncology Nursing Society Foundation Small Grants Research Program.
- 2003-5: Co-Investigator, Research Integrity and Financial Conflicts of Interest. [Dr. Patti Tereskerz, Principal Investigator]. Funded by the National Institutes of Health. R01 NS 44523-01A1. Total costs: $296,000. Project dates: 10/03 – 10/05.
- 2002-5: Principal Investigator, Research Ethics Course for Research Nurse Coordinators. Funded by the National Institutes of Health, Heart, Lung & Blood Institute. T15 HL70903-01. Total costs: $554,837. Project dates: 4/01/02 – 3/31/05.
Selected National and International Presentations
- November, 2013: “Advanced Practice Nursing: Contributions and Challenges”, keynote address; and “Meeting the Challenges”, closing keynote address. ASRIC Conference (Society of European French-Speaking Specialist Nurses), Lausanne, Switzerland.
- November, 2013: Presentations to students and faculty of Espace Competences and University of Lausanne Institute of Graduate Studies and Research, Lausanne, Switzerland; and, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium.
- October, 2013: “Must We Be Courageous?” panel presentation. ASBH Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA. “Moral Distress Across the Health Care Professions”, panel, ASBH, Atlanta, GA.
- October, 2011: “Transforming Moral Distress into Moral Agency”, panel presentation. ASBH Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN.
- May, 2011: “Moving Beyond the Case: Strategies for Responding to Moral Distress”, panel presentation with Lucia Wocial and Katherine Brown-Saltzman. 7th International Conference on Clinical Ethics and Consultation, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- March, 2011: “The Price of Advocacy: Dealing with Moral Distress”, keynote presentation at the first ANA National Nursing Ethics Conference, Los Angeles, CA.
- September, 2010: “Empirical Research on Moral Distress: Issues, Challenges, and Opportunities”, keynote address, first international conference: “Moral Distress in Health Care Symposium”. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- April, 2010: “The Crescendo Effect: Cumulative Moral Distress and Strategies to Manage It”, keynote address, “Recognizing and Managing Moral Distress in Rehabilitation Health Care”, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Academy, Chicago, IL.
- September, 2008: “Leadership in APN Model Development”, plenary panel presentation, International Nurse Practitioner/Advanced Practice Nursing Network of the International Council of Nurses’ meeting, Toronto, CA.
- March, 2008: “Moral Courage: Risky Business?” – Keynote Address, 15th Annual Ethics of Caring Conference, Los Angeles, CA. Also presented breakout session, “What is Moral Distress and What Can We Do About It?”
- February, 2007: “Engineering the ‘New Nurse’: A Model Clinical Nurse Leader Program for Second Degree Students” with Kathryn Reid (presenter), G. DeGennaro, P.Dennison, A.Keeling, S. Farrell, & L. Wacksman. American Association of Colleges of Nursing 2007 Master’s Nursing Education Conference, Albuquerque, NM.
- October, 2006: “Nurses’ Access to Ethics Consultation: An Issue of Moral Courage?” with Elisa Gordon – paper presentation, American Society of Bioethics and Humanities Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- October, 2006: “Advanced Practice Nursing” – delivered four lectures on APN definition, evolution, and education. Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China.
- June, 2006: “APN Role Evolution” and “Promoting Outcomes in APN Roles” – presentations, Registered Nurse Association of Ontario meeting, Toronto, Canada.
- March, 2006: “Dilemmas Within the Research Team” and “Issues With Informed Consent” – presentations, General Clinical Research Centers Annual Meeting, Washington, DC.
- October, 2005: “The International Nursing Shortage and Issues of Justice: Whose Suffering Counts?” – lead panelist, American Society of Bioethics and Humanities Annual Meeting, Washington, DC.
- October, 2005: “The DNP and APN Education” – panel presentation, American Association of Colleges of Nursing DNP Stakeholder’s Meeting, Washington, DC.
September, 2005: “Justifying and Strengthening APN Practice in Transplant Nursing” – keynote address, International Transplant Nurses Society, Orlando, FL.
- June, 2005: “The Art of Teaching Ethics: Reflections From a Fellow Learner” – keynote address, Chicago Institute of Nursing Education, Chicago, IL.
- June, 2005: “Advanced Practice Nursing Roles in British Columbia: Evolution, Integration and Collaboration” – paper presentation to Provincial Practice group, Vancouver, BC.
- May, 2005: “Moral Distress in Attending Physicians and Nurses in Adult ICU Settings: A Pilot Study” – paper presentation with Sarah Delgado, National Teaching Institute, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, New Orleans, LA.
- May, 2004: “The Evolution of Advanced Nursing Practice” and “Moving into the Future: Themes and Directions from the Conference” – keynote address and final summary, 25th Anniversary Faye Fox Educational Day, Sir Mortimer B. Davis-Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Canada.
- 2013-Present Co-Chair, Bioethics Expert Panel, American Academy of Nursing.
- 2005 – 2006 Member, American Association of Colleges of Nursing Task Force developing the Essentials for Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Programs, AACN, Washington, DC.
- 2004 Invited Panelist to draft the “Working Statement Comparing the Clinical Nurse Leader and Clinical Nurse Specialist Roles: Similarities, Differences and Complementarities”, American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Washington, DC.
- February, 2004 Invited Participant, National Consensus Panel to Develop Ethical Guidelines for Research With Persons at the End of Life. Convened at Emory University, Atlanta, GA.