Sean Convoy, DNP, RN, P-MHNP-BCClinical Associate Professor
Concentration Coordinator, Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3001D
I maintain an active (part time) practice as an Adult Psychiatric – Mental Health Nurse Practitioner and teach in VCU’s Psychiatric – Mental Health Nurse Practitioner and Doctorate of Nursing Practice programs. Additionally, I guest lecture nationally on topics as diverse as Operational Psychiatry, Cognitive Therapy, Medical Ethics, Health Policy, Mental Health Promotion and Mental Illness Prevention.
My early research experience concentrated on outcome evaluation of nurse led military psycho-educational programs. More recently, my Capstone focus concentrated on the United States Military’s Mental Health Promotion and Mental Illness Prevention programs.
2013-Present: Working Group Chair to the American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA) Task Force on Military Mental Health.
2012-2013: Psychiatric – Mental Health Nursing Sub Specialty Advisor to the Navy Surgeon General. Led community of over 100 Navy psychiatric nursing professionals supporting the psychiatric care of over 8.3 million beneficiaries. As a member of the Navy’s Psychological Health Advisory Board (PHAB), evaluated and drafted Department of Navy policy on specialty specific matters.
2010-2013: Mental Health Specialty Consultant to Navy’s Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, Washington D.C. Provided and coordinated advanced practice psychiatric – mental health standard of care review for all adverse events between 2010 and 2013.
2009-2012: Mental Health Specialty Consultant to 2nd Marine Division’s Suicide Prevention Council, Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. Provided subject matter expertise to line leaders on its organizational response to suicide.
2012: Working Group Leader to the Federal Nursing Service Council (FNSC) primarily responsible for developing a Joint Service strategic planning document for Psychiatric – Mental Health nursing.
2012: Working Group Leader to Navy’s Bureau of Medicine and Surgery chartered Post Graduate APRN Residency Development Program specifically designing the Psychiatric – Mental Health Residency process.
- BA - Elon College, Elon, NC
- BSN - Norfolk State University, Norfolk, VA
- MSN - University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Post Master Cert. - University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- DNP - Rush University, Chicago, IL
- Outstanding Faculty Award, VCU School of Nursing, 2016
- Convoy, S. P. (2017). Anxiety. In J. Giddens (Ed.), Concepts for nursing practice (Second edition. ed., pp. p.327-336). St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier.
- Convoy, S. P. (2017). Psychosis. In J. Giddens (Ed.), Concepts for nursing practice (Second edition. ed., pp. p.348-356). St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier.
- DeLeon, P. H., Brown, A.B., & Convoy, S.P. (2016). Judicious Reliance on Psychotropic Medications. In N. D. Ainspan, Bryan, C.B., & Penk W.E. (Ed.), Handbook of psychosocial interventions for veterans and service members: a guide for the non-military mental health clinician. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press.
- Calohan, J., Pauli, E., Combs, T., Creel, A., Convoy, S.P., Owen, R. (2016). Using Simulation in a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Doctoral Program. Journal of Professional Nursing. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2016.03.009
- Elias, B., Polancich, S., Jones, C., & Convoy, S. (2015). Evolving PICOT for the Digital Age: PICOT-D. Journal of Nursing Education, 54(19), 594-599. doi:10.3928/01484834-20150916-09
- Westphal, R. J., Convoy, S.P. (2015). Military Culture Implications for Mental Health and Nursing Care. The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing.
- Gibbons, S., Migliore, L. Convoy, S.P., Greiner, S., & DeLeon, P. (2014). Military mental health stigma challenges: Policy and practice considerations. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 10(6), 365-372.
- DeLeon, P. H., & Convoy, S.P. (2013). Unprecedented challenges. Archives in Psychiatric Nursing, 27(2), 63-64.
- Convoy, S., & Westphal, R. J. (2013). The importance of developing military cultural competence." Journal of Emergency Nursing, 39(6), 591-594.
- Fisak, J., Convoy, S. P. (2012). Blue - green efforts to foster individual resiliency and group cohesion. Scuttlebut. Camp Lejeune, NC: Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune.
- Convoy, S. P. (2007). Manholes on the road oflLife. This Week on Okinawa, 53,2.
- Convoy, S. P. (2007). Don't worry...be happy. This Week on Okinawa, 53,2.
- Convoy, S. P. (2007). Looking beyond the behavior. This Week on Okinawa, 53,2.
- June 2016 Veteran Transition, from Service to School, Grant Funded Presentation for Boston College & Norwich University veterans and student athlete grant participants.
- October 2015 Beyond the Benzodiazepine, Richmond Region Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Pharmacology Symposium, Richmond, VA, http://www.vcnp.net/region.php?RID=6
- October 2015 Caregiver Occupational Stress First Aid (COSFA): A Potentially Life-saving Tool, American Psychiatric Nurses Association 29th Annual Conference, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, http://elearning.apna.org/session.php?id=17429
- October 2015 Jones, C.T., Elias, B., Polancich, S., Convoy, S. P. (2015, October). Evolving PICOT for the Digital Age - Describing the PICOT-D. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the International Association of Clinical Research Nurses, Baltimore, MD. Poster # 0049.
- September 2015 Occupational Stress First Aid, U.S. Psychiatric and Mental Health Congress, San Diego, California, http://www.psychcongress.com/psychcongress/agenda
- February 2015 Policy & Practice Implications Associated with Military Service Members, Veterans & Their Families, North Carolina Chapter of the American Psychological Association, The Friendly Center, Chapel Hill, NC
- November 2014 Helping Military Service Members, Veterans, and Those Who Support Them, Center for Deployment Psychology in partnership with the Joining Forces Initiative, American Nurses Association, American Nurses Foundation and the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, http://www.deploymentpsych.org/JFWW2014
- September 2014 Psychiatric Sequelae of Combat and Operational Stress, U.S. Psychiatric and Mental Health Congress, Orlando, Florida, http://www.psychcongress.com/psychcongress/agenda/faculty
- September 2014 Combat & Operational Stress First Aid (COSFA) and Care for the Caregiver, Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune, NC
- October 2013 Military Cultural Competence, Maryland Emergency Nurses Association, 24th Annual Barbara Proctor Conference, Silver Spring, Maryland, http://www.mdena.org/flyers/2013/08%20August/Flyer%202013.pdf
- March 2013 Joining Forces: Understanding Veterans and Military Families, Contemporary Forums, New Orleans, Louisiana, http://www.onlinecelibrary.com/psychiatricnursing/?select=session&sessionID=644
- March 2013 Military Mission, Culture and Psychopharmacologic Considerations, Contemporary Forums, New Orleans, Louisiana, http://www.onlinecelibrary.com/psychiatricnursing/?select=session&sessionID=657
- November 2012 Operational Psychiatry, National Center for Deployment Psychology, Bethesda, Maryland
- June 2012 Military Mission, Culture, and Psychopharmacologic Considerations, American Psychiatric Nurses Association Clinical Psychopharmacology Institute, Reston, Virginia, http://elearning.apna.org/session.php?id=9221
- June 2012 Military Psychological First Aid, American Association of Nurse Practitioner’s Annual Conference, Orlando, Florida
- March 2012 Combat – Operational Stress First Aid, Warrior Resilience Conference IV, Washington D. C., http://www.dcoe.health.mil/Content/Navigation/Documents/WRC%20IV%20Draft%20Agenda%20-%20Website%20Version.pdf
- June 2011 APRN Led Inpatient Psychiatric Service, Association of Nurse Practitioner’s Annual Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada
- May 2007 Outcomes Evaluation of the Outpatient Cognitive Intervention Program, 20th Annual Pacific Nursing Research Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii
- May 2006 Outcomes Evaluation of the Outpatient Cognitive Intervention Program, Navy Medicine Annual Research Competition, National Naval Medical Center Bethesda, Maryland
- April 2006 Outcomes Evaluation of the Outpatient Cognitive Intervention Program, 14th Biennial Phyllis J. Verhonick Nursing Research Course, San Antonio, Texas
- March 2006 Outcomes Evaluation of the Outpatient Cognitive Intervention Program, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth 21st Annual Research Oral Competition (1st Place)
- February 2006 Outcomes Evaluation of the Outpatient Cognitive Intervention Program, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth 21st Annual Research Poster Session (2nd Place)